Hemorrhoids in St. Louis, MO
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What are hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids, sometimes referred to as piles, are swollen veins near the lower rectum or anus. The condition commonly occurs when the walls of the veins in the rectum or anus become so thin that the veins protrude or bulge. Piles can manifest internally (within the rectum) or externally (on the anus).
Hemorrhoids are not uncommon. As a matter of fact, three out of four adults will deal with piles at some time(s). In some cases, a blood clot will grow inside a hemorrhoid (knowns as a thrombosed hemorrhoid) and can cause pain or discomfort. The board-certified GI providers at Specialists in Gastroenterology specialize in helping patients with this common concern and other gastrointestinal (GI) conditions. To connect to treatment for hemorrhoids in St. Louis, MO, please reach out to our office as soon as possible.
What are the causes of hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids can be the result of many different factors. Causes of hemorrhoids can include:
- Excessive strain when performing physical activities (like weight lifting)
- Standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Being overweight
- Genetic history of hemorrhoids
- Excessive strain during bowel movements
- Chronic constipation
- Chronic diarrhea
What are some symptoms of hemorrhoids?
Symptoms of hemorrhoids will vary depending on the location of the piles. Some of the most common symptoms patients experience include:
- Itching around one's anus
- Bright red blood in the stool
- Pain near the anus while conducting physical activities
- Pain and/or inflammation around the anus
- Pink, blue, or purple bumps that protrude around the anus
- Pain during bowel movements
How are hemorrhoids treated?
Sometimes, smaller hemorrhoids can resolve without treatment after a week or less. Your Specialists in Gastroenterology provider may prescribe pharmaceutical drugs or suggest at-home remedies to relieve the uncomfortable symptoms of hemorrhoids. When larger hemorrhoids are present, medical involvement is available in St. Louis, MO and might be needed to excise or treat the hemorrhoid. Typical hemorrhoid treatments include:
- Surgical Intervention
- Draining of a clot (thrombosis)
- A high fiber diet
- Hemorrhoid stapling
- Applying topical cream
- Avoiding the use of dry toilet paper
- Good hygiene, specifically in the anal region
- Tub baths several times daily in warm water
- Ligation using rubber bands
- Ice packs to reduce anal swelling
- Treating constipation or the cause of the hemorrhoids
Get help for hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids typically do not lead to serious health issues, but they can certainly be irritating and interfere with your quality of life. If you find yourself in need of treatment for hemorrhoids in St. Louis, MO, our providers are ready to help. We urge you to contact your nearest Specialists in Gastroenterology location to request a consultation with a gastroenterology provider.
Everybody was so professional. Dr. Reminded me of PRINCE! Thanks everyone for taking good care of me.
Dr Root is great. He is always good about talking through findings and concerns.
They are a well oiled machine.. very efficient, thorough and friendly! Thank you.
They walked me through the entire process and were very comforting and professional.
It was professional and efficient