Gallbladder Disease in St. Louis, MO
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is gallbladder disease?
A small organ in the body, the gallbladder holds and regulates the release of bile to aid in the breakdown of foods during digestion. The term gallbladder disease refers to a collection of problems and disorders that have a negative impact on the gallbladder. These conditions include:
- Acalculous gallbladder disease: When the gallbladder becomes inflamed without the presence of gallstones.
- Choledocholithiasis: A situation where a gallstone becomes trapped in the exit way of the gallbladder. When this forms, the gallbladder may become inflamed.
- Gallstones: Hard pieces of material that can block the route to the gallbladder and bile ducts.
- Cholecystitis: An inflammation of the gallbladder typically caused by gallstones. Over time, the gallbladder can decrease in size and lose its capacity to release bile.
- Biliary dyskinesia: Impaired function of the gallbladder
- Sclerosing cholangitis: Persistent damage and inflammation to the bile duct system that leads to scar tissues developing.
If you have a gallbladder condition like any of those listed here, you should have an expert GI specialist guide you through your treatment. At Specialists in Gastroenterology, our specialists can deliver the guidance you seek. To receive treatment for gallbladder disease in St. Louis, MO, please get in touch with our team today to request a consultation.
What causes gallbladder disease?
Many gallbladder issues come from the formation of gallstones. Gallstones are formed when cholesterol and other types of substances found in liver bile coagulate and create hard stone-like particles. A patient also may have tumors that hinder the bile from draining appropriately, blood vessel issues, or infection. Regardless of the source of your gallbladder disease, you can get experienced treatment at a Specialists in Gastroenterology location in your community. Our providers can evaluate your issue and help you find the appropriate option for treatment.
What are the common signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease?
The signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease will vary from patient to patient. Common symptoms of gallbladder disease can involve:
- Throwing up
- Pain that radiates to your back or right shoulder
- Tenderness in the abdomen
- Significant abdominal pain, especially in the upper right or center portion of the abdomen
How is gallbladder disease treated?
The ideal strategy to prevent the risk of developing gallstones is to maintain a normal weight, decrease your weight progressively if recommended, and adopt a healthy way of life. Many gallbladder diseases can be identified through a basic ultrasound. In certain instances, your provider might advise having additional imaging like a computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan. If your gallbladder disease requires treatment, our St. Louis, MO specialists could recommend any of the following options:
- Fasting for a certain time period (to give an inflamed gallbladder to rest and diminish inflammation)
- Pain relief medication
- Cholecystectomy (removal of the gallbladder)
- Medications to help dissolve gallstones
Advanced treatment for gallbladder disease
Gallbladder problems, like biliary dyskinesia, gallstones, and cholecystitis, biliary dyskinesia, cholecystitis, and gallstones, can be diagnosed and managed by a skilled gastroenterology provider at your nearest Specialists in Gastroenterology location. If you notice troubling GI symptoms, then we encourage you to partner with an experienced GI specialist near you as soon as possible so that you can be evaluated for conditions like gallbladder disease. As a physician-led network of gastroenterology specialists, we are well-equipped with modern, treatment solutions for individuals with gallbladder disease. To partner with an experienced gastroenterologist who offers treatment for gallbladder disease in St. Louis, MO, contact a location in your community today.
Compassionate and thorough.
Excellent care and compassion.
Everything went perfect. Very friendly staff and very professional. Will recommend them to others.
Dr Weinstock is deliberate, thoughtful and precise in his diagnosis. An amazing, one of a kind physician.