Dining Out: The IC-Smart Way
Before making plans to eat at a restaurant, it' s a good idea to check online or call ahead to ask about the menu. This will enable you to enjoy your meal and feel good afterward, too!
When ordering your meal
- Ask questions
- Ask your waiter what spices are used in particular dishes
- If you are unsure of an ingredient, ask what it is
- Modify your selection
- It's your meal-don't be afraid to specify how you would like it prepared
- When ordering a salad, tell the waiter no onions
- Substitute a plain baked potato for a spicy rice combination
- Ask for salad dressings and other possible "trigger" items to be served "on the side"
- Be careful with spicy foods
- Pay attention to the type of cuisine you eat. Different cuisines may contain spices that you may be unfamiliar with
- Know your "IC-Smart" menu choices
- Most restaurants offer plain (not marinated) steak and chicken
- Some chain restaurant foods may contain preservatives